Rockbottom Case Study
Opening their doors to the public more than 40 years ago, Rockbottom Music provide high-quality musical equipment and advice at their music store based in Croydon, Surrey. The founder of Rockbottom Music, Carl Nielsen, showed his passion for music at a young age and at the age of eight, he started playing the electric guitar. After graduating Croydon Tech and gaining work experience at Triumph Electronics in Purley, Carl eagerly joined the legendary Macari’s™ Music Store in Charing Cross.
Hired in 1967, one of his first repairs was the 7120 Vox owned by The Beatles. Carl packed the first Tone Benders and demonstrated them in store, selling countless amounts. His selling prowess started a promising retail career, and he managed Macari’s™ Music Store for three years. Carl then decided to branch out, and created Rockbottom, a music store that is proud of its heritage. A second store in Hollywood followed suit in 1994 and the brand continues to go from strength to strength.
The team at Rockbottom Music approached us needing a new and redesigned digital presence with bespoke eCommerce integration. A variety of immersive and interactive design elements were needed to make the site look visually appealing and the site needed to ensure it was found in search engines.
Web.com built Rockbottom Music an eCommerce website which allowed them to be able to add their own products and sell efficiently online.
Website Functionality Included
- Stock manager software to manage their frequently changing inventory both in store and online.
- Access to a Content Management System to allow the customer to add their own products (they currently have over 1000).
- Reporting both in Google Analytics and WordPress to keep track of their website statistics and performance.
- Ajax search so the customer doesn’t have to go looking through many pages and can find what they want quickly and easily on a product level.
- ‘Recently viewed’ and ‘related products’ sections to encourage the customer to buy other products related to the ones they were looking at.
- A dedicated page to display information and generate bookings of Rockbottom Music’s Rehearsal Rooms.
- Links off to YouTube videos of people playing the instruments.
- The inclusion of Search Engine Optimisation to ensure the website is found in search engines such as Google and Bing.
What we achieved
Results since going live – 3 months (Nov 1st – Feb 1st)
Gross sales Over - £2,000
Page views - 14,487
Unique sessions - 3,707
Session duration - 2:26 minutes
Worldwide traffic - Mainly coming from UK, US, Italy, France & Spain
Site speed - 1.3 seconds
Looking to the future
Rockbottom Music’s website will have been live for 6 months in June 2018 and the business is looking forward to more significant growth. Their ROI has enabled them to put more marketing budget behind their online strategy and they are looking to do Facebook Advertising and Google Shopping with Web.com in the coming months.
Kind words from the customer
The finished product far exceeded expectations and Web.com were fantastic to work with from beginning to end. We knew that eCommerce websites don’t come cheap, however, we feel the website has paid for itself! We have had great feedback on the new site and we are very pleased with the finished design. We are astounded to have received so much overseas traffic and have even had sales from Italy!
Callum Rose, eCommerce Manager